Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Difficult Decisions

Well, things didn't work out exactly the way I planned with the XSV1100 Yamaha. I can probably still get it this spring, but for now it is outside my grasp. Damn financing issues...

Anyhow, I am looking into getting a little Kawasaki Vulcan 500 from a local car dealership for $600.00. It's in pretty decent shape, with only minor repairs necessary (including a petcock, already on order) and a RH mirror. The bike is for Dan for us to ride together this spring. He still needs to get an operators permit and take an MSF class, but I figure if I can do it, I know he can.

My problem is I need to get it insured (an additional $200) to ride it out of there, and that's money I'd basically be throwing away at this time of year. The weather is a balmy 27degrees rigt now, and even though I took the bike (my Maxim) out for a ride, it's chilly as heck. I still can't get that motorcycle out of my mind. Add to the fact that Dan is not 100% sure he even wants to ride (although he was definitely interested when I last asked him) I don't want to force him to do something he won't enjoy.

I am selling bits and pieces on ebay, sold my carbtune for $80, the color tune for $60 and have the carbs up for auction right now. Hope to get more than what I paid for them, but we'll see.

Part of me wants to just go down to the college bike shop and buy that damned bike right now, but that would be foolish. We just spent a bunch of moola on Dan's new car (one reason, I believe that he is willing to let me get a new bike), so there isn't much left on the ol CC to spend.

I'm not really sure why I have this serious drive to get a new bike. Although the Maxim is experiencing carb problems (fouled plugs, hard starts, etc ad infinitum...) and needs a new paint job, it's not anything I can't deal with. Hugo next door wants to buy it for $1000, less than I should sell it, that's for sure, but I have a feeling the problems are only going to continue to get worse, considering it's age.

I have learned a lot about motorcycles from this particular beast...

No comments: