Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shine on, you crazy diamond...


I got to work shinin' up the old bike today. Bought a little buffing and polishing kit from HF and used my drill to go to town. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Of course, now that it's shiny, I can see which areas need more work.

I took a short ride today, but my mind was elsewhere, not really the best time to go riding. Someone from the XJ list recently died in a motorcycle crash, which brought home the fact that it can happen to anyone, and does. In this case, he had the right of way and was killed when he hit a car that wasn't paying attention and turned in front of him. The driver was fined $125.00 for failing to yield the right of way.

What's more distressing is that I met this guy at a carb clinic a few years ago. Nice enough fellow, and loved his bike. To see it laying on the ground brought reality crashing home for me.

That's not to say I'll never ride again, but I think of all the close calls I've had, the times people, talking on their cell phones or adjusting their radio's just drifted into my lane, or outright pulled into my lane. People slamming on their brake (luckily I follow the 2 car lengths rule, and not the 2 bike lengths rule.)

I feel bad for his family. Godspeed Thom Stagno.

In other news, RT started his own blog site (an excellent idea, if I do say so myself) and you can find it here: http://maximexplosionblogspotcom.blogspot.com/ He pirated a few of my pics that I took, but no problem. It is his bike after all. ;-) I'm sure he'll be adding more of his own. I've been wanting to call him to see how it's going, but I don't want to disturb him.

I think I'll take a ride here soon...

No comments: