Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Sad Day

Though I never met the man in person, William "Bill" Schmitt will be missed. He was involved in a motorcycle crash where someone turned in front of him. Massive head trauma, even though he was wearing a helmet, and another life is snuffed out. This makes me very sad, and a little angry too.

Being an ER nurse, I knew things weren't looking good when he was only breathing 2 times a minute unassisted. That, coupled with other diagnostic signs (rising ICP, decorticate posturing) led me to believe the prognosis was not good. I was going to help out on a XJ relay for this man, riding the leg between Grand Rapids and Metro Detroit. Many people from the xjbikes site were going to do a cross country ride to deliver get well cards and mementos. Now, a memorial ride is being discussed.

I spoke with bill via email through the xj site, him offering information on how to get my bike running better, tips and tricks that helped me get my bike to where it is today. He was kind and compassionate, a friend to motorcyclists everywhere, always quick with a word of advice or just a simple hello to new members.

bill, you will be missed.

In other more positive news, the newsletter is nearly complete! I'll be publishing this September for sure. I plan to offer it through this blog as well as through xjbikes. A few more simple things to do, and it'll be ready to go. This is the front cover. I plan to have a 2 page, back to back news-zine. A couple people have offered their services for writing articles. I plan to have a few beginning to end restoration projects featured.

I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments: