Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Chill in the Air

Summer is definitely, indubitably, without question, nearly over.

I hate those words. I want the riding season to last forever (although if I lived in Florida, I could ride all year) but even I have to accept that when you freeze nearly to death as the frigid wind whips by your helmet, works its way into and through your heavier riding gear, it's time to consider other modes of transportation.

That's not to say I won't be riding anymore this year, on the contrary, I plan to ride every nice day that's left. The real issue is, how do I feel during and after the ride? Shivering when riding is not very fun, neither is the warming up period after.

Recently, it got pretty cold here, early in the morning. Although the bike started right up, cold weather is a Maxim's nemesis. 49 degrees may not sound too cold but when you factor in the wind chill, your body temp can drop pretty quickly. I checked my body temp when I arrived to the hospital. 96.8. That's a pretty sugnificant drop, and could even be considered dangerous were it to continue. Luckily for me, the weather warmed up later on, but wearing scrubs under my riding jacket is definitely NOT layered clothing. I've considered heated gloves, grips, a vest and chaps (cutting down on wind resistance) but some of that stuff is pretty pricey, and it is dangerous to ride your bike on snow covered roads (though I have seen it done. Someone with a Yamaha last year, in fact. I didn't envy them at all, rather, more like pity).

The occasional sunny day will shine through, allowing me respite from the prison of my 4 wheeled mode of transport, and on those days I'll take advantage of my 2 wheeled friend.

I've made a plan to take a road trip next year, and have started plotting my course on a map. Next year... there's always next year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was 48 or 49 degrees a few weeks ago when I decided to ride into work that day. I got as far as the end of the block before turning back around and adding a sweatshirt under my jacket. I was wearing an undershirt and button up shirt as well, but my riding jacket is made of mesh, so it doesn't do much to cut down on the wind. With the sweatshirt I was fine.

Riding last night was a bit chilly, but I was okay with just the jacket and a shirt. I'll probably have to break down and get a leather jacket to wear for spring and fall, but the mesh is nice for those hot summer days.

Rob said...

I hear your pain, I live in Buffalo and my riding year gets cut off pretty early. Hay a man has to get to work even in the snow, that is what a cage is good for.

Road Trips are Good!!!