Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The two fingered wave


I've noticed in the past when greeted by another cyclist on the road, they often use an arm down and out, 2 fingered salutation. Most everyone uses this form of greeting, so I am going to adopt it. Realistically, it makes more sense to wave with your arm down, although it's not a wave, per se, but rather just the arm thrust out diagonally, 2 fingers extended. An interesting article on the phenomenon can be found here.

I have run into situations where the greeting was not returned; most often by Harley riders, that eclectic bunch with overpriced motorcycles. While I am not slamming Harley Davidson motorbikes, it is a bit disconcerting to see a sub-culture within a sub-culture. Can't we all just get along? OEM parts are expensive for all bikes, true, but for Harley's, man, what a pirate ship that company is! And the accessories! I was looking through a selection of decals the other day, and everything is Harley. Harley Harley Harley. No Yamaha stuff to be found. I guess I'll have to order on the web.

As I drive my gas guzzling cavalier, I guess I take more notice of all the bikes on the road. I miss my bike, and can't wait to get back out there. There are some real beauties zipping along, and I think by being a motorcyclist, I am paying more attention to them now than I did before owning one.

No comments: