Monday, September 04, 2006

This ain't no paint-by-numbers...





















So I tackled the big job of painting this weekend. Well, not a big job, per se, but big for me. I've never painted anything like this before. I'd done the research, bought the materials and dove right in.

Right off the bat, I ran into problems. The original paint was a bear to get off. Plus there was a huge gouge in one of the side covers that I needed to buff out with sand paper.

I sanded the whole thing down, roughing it up with 400grit paper, taking off the original wax, and what I hoped was the clear coat. I used the wet sanding technique, and I think it saved me putting too many scratches in the surface.

Next I taped everything off and got started. I wanted to do something fancy; perfect idea this being my first time ever painting something like this. I did the outer edge in garnet red and spray painted the rest in a speckle paint glossy black. I thought it looked pretty good til I put the clear coat on. Then it just looked... blah.


I thought it might grow on me, but no, the more I looked at it, the less I liked it. So much for being fancy! I also planned to paint the helmet I had gotten with the bike, using the same hi gloss speckle black. That turned out pretty well, all except one part where I got a bit too generous with the clear coat.

On Labor Day, I decided to strip off the new paint job and re-apply something closer to the original color. It looks MUCH better. I guess it just goes to show you shouldn't mess with the original.

Next up is the gas tank. I probably would have done that this weekend too, but things being as they are, it's killing me already not being able to ride the bike. I am going down to the SoS tomorrow right after class and get things squared away. I doubt they'll be too sympathetic, what with this being money in the bag for them. Alas, if you want to drive on the roads in MI, you have to pay the piper.

No comments: