Saturday, September 09, 2006

Parts is parts...

Received my bearings and brake/clutch levers today. I quickly switched out the brake lever (easy) but that clutch lever made me a little nervous. I couldn't figure out a way to detach the cable from the lever proper. I posted a question to the XJ list, maybe someone will have an answer.

It's unfortunate that the weather is so lousy, but then again, this is Michigan. I have ridden the bike very little in the last few days, not that I am afraid of getting wet, but that I don't like the bike getting wet. I have had the chance to get the bike cleaned up. I took off the "dashboard" (the light housing) and cleaned it up with some chrome polish. Looks a LOT better. Almost like new, in fact. I was going to change the lights out too, but halogen bulbs are something that I don't really need right now. Basically I was just trying to figure out the best way to get the tach cover off. After a bit of trial and error, I figured out there is a small screw holding the cover on, in the back. Once this was off, the cover slipped right off. I should be getting the new cover on the 14th (according to their website) so once it arrive, whammo, my upper deck will be clean and unblemished once more.

Started a list of things I plan to bring to Canada at the end of Sept. I am apprehensive about the trip, yet very excited. It's a long way to go, and I am still a little nervous about something going wrong with the bike, namely, the wheel bearings. I may just break down and switch them out on my next day off, although I have to concentrate on school as well. Weird how in my mind, school takes a backseat when it comes to thoughts of the bike. Of course, I snap back to reality quickly when I realize my livelihood is at stake.

Getting through customs should be easy enough when I explain why I am smuggling 6 bottles of seafoam over the border, as well as the bearings. Carb clinic, fella's. You know you wish you were going!

Maybe I'll get some ride time in tomorrow. Well, that and studying.

I made it out to Sophie's for breakfast this morning, then it started raining. I am surprised at the bike though. True, I have to shoot a small spray of starter fluid into the air intake, but after that, it runs like clockwork. I thought the rain would be causing me more problems, but so far, so good.

No comments: