Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Frustration Mounting..

Okay, I've done just about everything imaginable to this bike. Here's a recap:

* Dyna coil and wire installation
* New plug caps
* Air filter
* Oil Changes (x3)
* Valve clearance
* Carb cleaning (x4)
* Carb boot mod and install
* Inline fuel filter
* Bench sync
* Gear oil change
* Valve cover paint
* Contact cleaner and dielectric grease on every conceivable connection
* Brush check and generator cleanout
* Manifold intake gasket replacement
* Throttle cable replacement
* Pilot screw replacement and re-seat
* Wax and polish and clean, clean, clean
* Morgan carb and color tune.

So here's my problem. Fouling plugs. No matter which way I adjust the pilot screw, I can't get the pretty bunsen burner blue we all know and love. I'm starting to run out of options of things to repair to get it running right.

Not to mention, I am having trouble with the idle now. Adjusting the idle screw has little to no effect on the idle. I'm wondering if maybe I can add a couple of washers to kind of move the spring forward that will allow more contact with the idle bar.

That is something I am going to look into today.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the fabrication of the carb boots.

First pic is of one of the old boots. Dimpled, hard in spots and difficult to get a good seal to the carb. Brand new, this little item costs 19.99, $11.00 for the bracket, and if I'm not mistaken, at least a buck or two for the screw. No one expects them to last forever, which is why, when I found the fab of the carb boots, and the fact they were only $3.87 + tax, it couldn't be beat.


Here it is, same size both in length and diameter (although, truth be told, the shiny metallic clamp came with the item) and nearly the same material. I suppose it doesn't matter which brand you use. Someone mentioned American Valve, another brand, but in this case, it's the size that's important.

The lip is a bit different, not that it matters, because it butts up to the edge of the airbox anyway. You'll want to remove one clamp.




There it is... the ominous black hole. I pulled the old boot off without removing the carbs. Call me a radical.










Here it is, the last hold out. I saved this one for last because I paid cash money to have it shipped to me. But, off it came, and on went the new boot.











A little WD40 on one end...













And here they are, 4 little ducks, all in a row. Has to be the easiest install of anything I've done on this bike.

For some weird reason, I thought once I got the boots replaced, the bike would run like a dream. Well, that's not true, at least so far.

I'm going to check in at xjbikes... hopefully someone will have an idea.

No comments: