Friday, June 26, 2009

Major Improvements and a new friend

So after many adjustments to the pilot screws, changing out spark plugs, adjusting this, tinkering with that, I'm almost to the point of being happy with my bike. Pretty decent throttle response (though still hangs a bit in first... not sure why that is) and the Max Factor (hey, the X has the X factor, why can't we have a Max Factor? Copyright infringement notwithstanding...).

Here's a video of my bike start up after a short run with the new adjustments. Frankly, after trying several combinations, I set everything to 2 out, and will adjust accordingly based on further plug evaluation.


The bike is running much better now, but I know there is still some room for improvement. And... though I hate to put it in writing, I may need new piston rings at some point. I noticed an oily residue on one of my plugs. When I adjusted the pilot screw, that oily residue disappeared, so I'm not sure what that means.

I also met up with Viragoking (not his real name, but I created an email account for him under that pseudonym so we can join virago mailing lists and get his bike running.) He owns a 1985? xv700 Yamaha Virago. It needs some carb repair, and I offered to help him out. I am no expert, but I'm willing to help a fellow biker who may turn out to be a riding brother. Here are some pics of his bike:




















He's a good guy who works hard doing landscaping. Considering how hot it has been, I feel for him! The towel you see tucked in under the engine is to catch the steady drip of gasoline that runs freely from his carbs. He's ordered carb kits for his bike, and we are going to do our best to fix them up this weekend. Like I say, I'm no expert, but all carbs are basically the same, so here's to hoping.

I took my bike over to his house yesterday and it ran pretty well. I could tell the plugs were fouling, however, on my way back the bike didn't have the same response as before. Luckily, the extra plugs I had brought with me weren't needed.

So, basically, the bike is getting there. I still have a bit more tuning to do, but at this point, I am happy with the way things are progressing.

At least until I have to tear my engine apart again...

No comments: