Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hot stuff

Took the bike out for a ride tonight... yes, on the highway. Still lacking in throttle response, and can't get a lot over 70, but I did hit 70mph. That is a triumph, considering what this bike has been through. Still popping a bit, which usually means running lean, but some of the plugs are still fouling. I'm going to carbtune tomorrow, and quite possibly replace all of the carb boots with a nifty new fab from a flexible coupler from Home Depot. I had been running with one of the boots not making a very good seal (obviously a problem) and had read on xjbikes about a fab using a vinyl/rubber coupler that fits the carbs perfectly between airbox and carbs. All I did was remove the c clamps, remove the old worn out boot, fit this one in it's place (didn't even have to take the carbs off). Had to use a bit of wd40 to slip it into position, but wow, what a difference.

What I really need to do is try and stop burning myself. I burned my forearm today on the exhaust, then again tonight after I got back from the ride, touched my calf against it as well.

I tried colortuning one of the cylinders that keeps fouling, but even though I moved the screw all the way out then all the way back in again, I couldn't find the sweet spot. I'll keep trying. It's got to be there somewhere. I'll carb tune tomorrow as well.

It's a good thing my significant other is so understanding...

No comments: