Sunday, July 19, 2009

Love that bike...

I love being able to come right out to the bike and hit the starter button and get a response from it. I rode the bike to work tonight and it had cooled off a bit when I was leaving, so I feared the worst (these bikes are known for being cold blooded.) Just to be on the safe side, I eased the choke up just a tad, hit the starter button and VRooooMMM!! The bike took off without me! I chased the sucker all over the garage, but it was sprightly and nimble, and I could hear it laughing as it easily outran me. Sometimes it would slow down and I would get close, but then it would speed right back up again!

I finally shouted MaTTE! (stop in Japanese) And the bike rolled to a stop.

The bike starts up great! Needs just a bit of choke (too much and it stalls out) and I am still learning where to put the lever. I'm still going to carbtune and colortune it here one of these days, but it seems a shame to do that when it is running so well. Why mess with perfection?

Perhaps that attention to detail is what makes the difference. I took the bike on a short ride before work tonight and get this rush of excitement when I roll the throttle and the bike takes off like a rocket. I've read that you should let the bike hit 6-7k rpms because that's where the power band lays. However, I'm not big into speed, but I do like to know if the bike can take off in a hurry if I need it.

I found the ignition decal. 7.95 (plus an exorbitant amount for shipping!) but at least I'll have a brand new sticker to fit on the bike. That guy chacal has everything you need to keep your bike in tip top shape. I'm thinking of buying one of those special screwdrivers too ($20!)

Making progress on the shining of parts. I have considered taking certain parts off the bike to shine them up (mainly the piece where the gear shift is, and both the ignition and oil pump cover) but so far it is looking pretty good. Eventually, I'll get it done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

MM,

Wanted to say thanks for all of the postings that you've been putting out here. I'm new to riding, and the bike I bought to learn on is a 1986 XJ700S. So it's been great to hear some of your experiences with the ones you've had. I've also been reading Maxim Explosion's posts as well since he started blogging. I'm in Redford, so yet another Michigander with a Maxim!

Both of your bikes are cleaner than mine, but since it's my first bike, I didn't want something that was too pristine, since I'm almost guaranteed to ding it up some. I have almost no skills at all for repairs, so when mine started leaking gas all over, I gave in and took it to a shop nearby that's run by MICarl on XJBikes. He got it back up and running and I've gotten out and taken it on several rides this past week. Gotta love it when it starts right up and then just purrs along!

Safe riding!

Eric