Friday, July 24, 2009

Questionable squeak

I posted a question on xjbikes about this squeak that's been plaguing my bike for the past week or so.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the squeak-squeak-squeak slow down as the engine slows down, which leads me to believe it's not the carbs, but then, that's just a guess.

The engine itself sounds terrible this close up... please excuse the grinding of gears. I'm more concerned about that damnable squeak! :)

I must admit, I am completely stumped. I've checked all my screws, they all seem to be tight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I listened to the video and the only thing that I could offer is that it's occurring about 5x per second at idle. Assuming your bike is set to idle around 1100 RPM, then it's occurring roughly once every 4 revolutions.

If it were a valve/spring issue, it seems like it would be double that 5/sec speed. I wonder what speed the cams rotate at, relative to the engine speed? If you hold a consistent idle (like doubling the idle speed) does the speed of the squeak double too? That might help to figure out the potential sources to check.

Of course, as discussed before, I'm definitely no mechanic, so this is all just some guesswork on my part... :)