Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Sometimes, it's the little things.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Why, you ask?

Well, I stripped out one of my pilot fuel jets. Normally, doing such a thing would really send me over the edge. Do you know how hard (and expensive) finding a replacement is?

Let me start at the beginning.

After stripping said pilot jet, I jumped online, seeking a replacement. After getting a response from one of the fellows over at xjbikes, I found that the order of my mains and pilot fuel jets were all out of whack. The pilots were in place of the mains, and the mains were in place of the pilots. (The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries, as my sons would say). THIS is the reason I could not, for the life of me, get my bike tuned, no matter how much I cranked out my pilot screws. Only one of the carbs were tuned, and wouldn't you know, it just happened to be the one who's spark plugs were the least fouled, and whose pilot to main configuration was correct.

I never, in a million years, would have thought to look at the little tiny numbers, so carefully etched, on top of these jets. I assumed the PO and all those who came before would never have touched these holy of holys.

Never assume anything when it comes to the mighty Maxim. That it ran at all was amazing.

Now, after spending nearly $15 on one tiny, little, insignificant, minuscule brass screw I am hopeful that this will be it. This will restore my bike to it's former glory, to it's mind numbingly fast state.

Waiting on the postman...

1 comment:

Rob said...

I am hoping that this issue is resolved. My world takes a nasty turn down hill when my bike is not running correctly. I feel your Pain.