Monday, August 28, 2006

Anti-freeze... in summer?

Sometimes the irony is hilarious. I could have made a serious mistake by adding regular antifreeze to my bike. Anti-freeze... at the end of August! The resevoir showed the fluid level to be low, so I added a fair amount of antifreeze I had laying around. I figured, it's antifreeze. So what?

Big what. Apparently, if you put the wrong type of antifreeze in your radiator, you can damage the water pump (the silicates clog it up). This is one of those things I never would have known, not in a million years. Thanks again, XJ list, for saving my bike. So, tomorrow, I am going up to Murrays to pick up some more Seafoam and also a bottle of non silicate antifreeze.

I rode the bike tonight, very nice ride home, although I noticed my front brakes are squeaking. Now, I know their OK because the guy at the bike shop looked at them and proclaimed them sound. I am learning, however, that bike shops can't be trusted. As someone wise said, "They have no vested interest in the bike." That's very true. So, tomorrow, I am going to check the brakes and make sure they are all up to snuff. I still stop ok, but boy, is that squeaking annoying.

I'm a little disappointed in the horn situation, what with the one side not working at all, even after the sanding I did on the contacts. I guess new wiring is in the cards. I'm happy that the one horn is working, however, although it sounds like one of those little clown cars with the "honk hoooonk" when the button is depressed.

Looking for a new helmet tomorrow. I found several on the web that seemed pretty good, even DOT/SNELL certified. 54.99 for one helmet, full face with a shield. That's a pretty good deal. But the words "how much is your ass worth?" keep reverberating in my ears. You get what you pay for.

I had ordered a copy of the Yamaha parts catalog from an ebay seller and finally got it. I should have waited and gotten the XJCD, but of course I didn't know about it then. I also ordered a tank bag, a pretty nice one that will fit nicely on my tank.

Looking forward to a good ride tomorrow.

No comments: