Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Highway flying...

It's been a couple of days since I posted here, but here I am. Had another close call. This time with someone slamming on their brakes in front of me and making a left hand turn. One of those last minute choices that could have spilled me on the road. As it was I hit my brakes and skidded to a stop, the back end of the bike fishtailing a bit. I controlled the skid well, just as I was taught, and everything was fine. That's twice in two days someone nearly hit me or forced me into a skid. What is it with drivers and the "all about me" mentality? Whatever happened to civility to your fellow drivers?

Took a long trip today, all the way to Grand Rapids, the town where I did a lot of growing up. It still looks like a slum, especially the old neighborhood and I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I didn't even stop, just kind of drove past the old homestead, taking a quick glance and speeding away. The highway was fun, although there is a strange sensation like floating on the highway when I get up to 73mph. Weird, but it could be because I am tired. I stopped off at rest stops a couple times just to stretch my legs. That knee bent posture is a killer. I can't wait to see what the Canada trip does to me.

It actually got a little chilly on the road there a few times, so later this fall I am going to have to be very careful to dress in layers. Plus the gloves. I think those are important.

I went through one whole tank of gas. Luckily, gas prices are coming down, but it's still 2.87 for premium. I burned up the rest of the seafoam, so I think I can hold of on that for a while.

That's it for now. More later. Drive safe out there.

1 comment:

pebael said...

Hi Mado, am reading your blog man its nice to meet some one as crazy as me. I got a 83 650 X Maxim US Custom and a 85 FJ 1100 with less than 6000 on the clock AND a Xj Maxim 7OO X/S its an air cooled X? Which at this time I am restoring I have had her for about 3 Weeks and did a 900mile round trip to get her as the are very rare in the uk. I will write more but I'm gonna leave work now "Traffic".
Love your Blog
Kind regards
Pebael