Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shopping spree...

I took the bike to the mall today. Now, normally, that's not a big issue. Add a major university (MSU) and a plethora of distracted drivers to the mix, and you have the potential for an accident. I happened to take the main thouroughfare through town, right past the campus, and people were out in droves. I can't really blame them, the weather was beautiful. I'm really learning to look ahead on the road, evaluating potential threats and eliminating my interaction with them before I even get close. I don't want to drive like that again though. I was gripping the handlebars so hard my hands cramped up.

I got to the mall (needed to buy some new clothes for a clinical) and went to Steve and Barry's. Great deals. Spent about $50 on clothing, 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts and a sweatshirt (which has a flaming skull on it) and I was very pleased with myself. As I strolled back out to my bike, it began to dawn on me that my space on the bike is limited. I mean, it's not like I could carry the bag on my lap, nor did I have anything to strap it to the seat behind me. I ended up wearing the sweatshirt and stuffing the rest into my saddlebags. It all fit, but the stuff was sticking out of the top of the saddlebag. It held though. I'll have to keep that in mind on my next shopping trip.

Good ride today. Bike is running wonderfully. I'm finding that quality of pavement makes a big difference in the ride. Smooth asphalt feels best, but it seems too easy to speed. Concrete is good too, but watch out for potholes. Pretty unforgiving on a bike.

I'm very happy that the bike no longer stalls at stoplights. I think that once I get the carbs tuned it'll be running even better. I notice a few little hitches here and there, almost what seems like tiny backfires from the pipes. The ticking sound is still there, but I haven't had a chance to check the front pipes to see if they are the culprit. I plan to do a fluid change soon, including brake lines and radiator. Still need to find that radiator bolt. Not quite sure how to change the brake fluid either. I'm sure most of this stuff will be on the XJCD, but am not sure whether I will have it before I go to Canada.

Taking the bike to clinical tomorrow. I am trying to get as much experience on it as I possibly can. When I finally take off for Canada, I want to be ready. I'm going to have to map things out. I don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere... although I'm not exactly going to the unexplored regions of Canada. I have to start getting things together.

More tomorrow...

No comments: