Sunday, September 10, 2006

Brakes and stupid weather

Sometimes I hate Michigan. My plan was to ride my bike to work tonight and although it was cloudy all day, it didn't rain. Guess what? 1 hour before I am set to leave, it's raining. That frustrates me. Maybe I'll sneak out anyway and take my chances.

I played around with the brakes today. Took off one side and cleaned it. What a messy job! Getting the brakes back on was difficult. Once it was on the tire wouldn't turn. I played around a bit more, moving the brake back and forth until finally I'm not sure what it was I did that freed the tire. I tried to take the other side off and my cheap-o socket wrench broke at the extension! I need some good quality tools.

On the brake pads themselves, there is a tiny cotter pin that holds the pad in place. It would have been nice to know before beginning that these pins were important. I broke one of them in half, although I think it will still work. I planned on testing it out tonight. Nonetheless, I am going to buy some new brake pads for it tomorrow. These ones seem pretty cheap, and I want to get some that aren't quite so noisy.

There are a lot of sites on the net for do-it-yourselfers like myself. I plan to do a wheel bearing change in a few days. That makes me a little nervous, but according to another guy who just did it, it's not too hard. I hope so.

No comments: