Friday, October 13, 2006

Cold and windy

Really windy today, about 25mph. That and the cold... I guess I'll wait til another day to ride the bike.

I am, however, going to check the resistances on my coils. Hopefully this is the cause of the poor starts. Some of the reading I have been doing seems to point in this direction. And dynacoils are only about $135.00 (not including the plug wires). It's only money, right?

I got an interesting email from Hap who basically stated that working on the bike, for him, is a labor of love. He doesn't mind the servicing, the tuning or the small things that pop up on occasion. I can relate to that. I do enjoy doing all these little things, getting my hands dirty (horror of horrors! dirt under the fingernails!) and smelling like exhaust. Sometimes it seems a bit much, but all I have to do is take a break and come back to it later. It's not like I depend on the bike as my main means of transportation. I've already spent probably close to $600 on the bike in the past 4 months. It is my hope that after the coils, all that will remain to do are minor things.

Checking the resisitance of the coils involves removing the boot of the spark plug wire (which requires twisting the boot until it comes off) and exposing the wire underneath. This has to be done on plugs 1&4 and 2&3 respectively. Using the multimeter, you can check to see how much resistance there is. The higher the resistance, the poorer the spark and resulting hard starts.

I'm going to print out the instructions Hap sent me, just to be safe. Shouldn't take too long.

I'll post more in a while.

No comments: