Thursday, October 12, 2006

Old Man Winter

Stupid weather! I was so hoping to get a ride in today, but looks like I am going to have to wait a while for the snow to completely clear up. I'm not sure I'm ready to brave the roads with slushy snow on them. However, I did go out and buy the stuff for my external fuel tank. Talk about a hassle! I thought for sure, since I printed out exactly what I needed, I could just walk in to any hardware store and pick the stuff up. No luck. I had to go to 3 different stores, buying items from each to make one complete system.

All I need to do is drill a hole in the bottom (or roughly the bottom) of the can, attach the hose adapter with rubber seals in place (to prevent leaking) attach my fuel line, attach the petcock, and I'll be ready.

I hope. I figure I might as well get this done since I can't tune my carbs without some sort of fuel system in place. That little petcock was almost $7! Outrageous! But, All in all, the whole setup is going to cost less than $20.00 whereas a fuel supply bought from somewher ranges about $49.00-60.00.

I started the bike today, just to see how it would react in truly cold weather. Of course, it did it's usual runs for about 3 seconds, then quits, then requires a spritz of starter spray. After that though, it ran pretty well. Oily whitish colored smoke is jetting from my exhaust, which I hope is the seafoam. I've been hitting it pretty hard with the stuff, hoping to get the carbs cleaned out. Hap told me it might run terribly until the carbs are clean.

I'll post some pics of the finished product (the alt. fuel supply) when it is finished. Since I've never been overly mechanically inclined, I think these kind of projects are good for me.

(Insert 3 hour block)

Okay, here is the final product. While it is a bit rough, I think it will work for what I need it for. I drilled a hole in the bottom then made the hole bigger by moving the bit back and forth, enlarging the opening. I tested it with water and of course, it leaked. So, since I was unable to add the additional washer on the inside of the container, I added a silicone sealant, thereby sealing up any holes.

I cut off a 4 inch piece of tubing, added the petcock then stuck it back together. In a couple hours, it'll be dry and ready for action!















Now I just have to wait for the carb tune to get here.

No comments: