Friday, October 13, 2006

Resistance is futile...


FINALLY! I removed the plug caps from the wiring and was able to test the resistance of each. The 12.18 reading comes from wires 1&4 and the 12.29 comes from wire 2&3. After removing each boot, for good measure I clipped off about a 1/4" of wiring at the end of each, in case there was any corrosion. I didn't actually see any except on one screw in a spark plug cap. I cleaned it up as best I could and applied dielectric grease to all points. Put it all back together and fired it up. Now, as far as I could tell, there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the start (still required a spray of starter fluid) but if definitely idle'd better, especially when cold. In fact, I am beginning to suspect a faulty choke lever. Why? Well, before I started the bike, I turned on the prime lever on the petcock, then turned on the choke. I tried starting and it caught, albeit briefly for about 3-5 seconds, then died. So, I applied starter spray to the airbox and it fired up. It was running pretty rough but I turned off the prime (I am apt to forget it if I don't), so on a lark, I shut off the choke and it seemed to idle better. It was a lot smoother than before. I don't know if its a combination of things, or the choke, or the prime... but at least now I think it may be fuel related (either too much or too little fuel). In the case of the last problem, it was obviously a result of too much fuel and not enough spark. New plugs fixed that problem, however. I'll figure it out, by trial and error, but eventually, I'll figure it out.

Here's the bike, everything plugged back in and running. The idle is set at about 1100rpms, the bike is moderately warm, everything apparently hunky dory. Now, if it only it were warmer outside!

I think I am going to upgrade the coils this winter at some point, probably after I paint the tank, and with the weather being what it is, that may happen sooner than I think. The coils are a little pricey, but I think this is a step in the right direction.
Jim from the list is going to send me one of his used diaphragms, to replace the one that is damaged on my bike. Since tuning the carbs is moot without proper vacuum, I'm hoping this will solve this one small issue The carb tune is set to arrive any day now, and my heart beats a bit faster each time I think about it, about a smooth sounding bike, tuned to perfection.

But the list keeps growing of things that I want to do to the bike. New steel braided brake lines, new front tire, complete tear down of the carbs and cleaning, engine cleaning, bike painting...

sheesh... I may never get it done.

Then again, if I was done, what fun would it be? I mean, all I'd be able to do is ride it around, and who wants to do just that?

No comments: