Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Battery insight...

So I followed a do it yourself list on how to see if your battery is any good. While I know it's a brand new battery, I wanted to see where, after a full charge and several days of use, I actually stood.

Apparently, on shaky ground. While off, the bike battery should ready 12.8 volts. Mine reads 11.82V That's less than 25% charged! Zoikes! So, right now, my battery is on a trickle charger, and there it shall remain until it charges to at least 12.8%.
Truth be told, I hooked it up to a regular battery charger and it charged 100% the day I got the new battery, or so I thought. (note to self: avoid Harbor Freight in the future)

Here are some other readings:
Off: 11.82v
Engine on, starter depressed, but not running: 9.8 (this is actually good)
Running at 2500rpms: 13.62-65 (should be 14.2-14.8)

I took this opportunity to dielectricize the electrical connections I could reach around the battery. Some of them were pretty corroded, yet everything works still. Go figure!


I'll be testing primary and secondary coils here soon to see if they are up to snuff. I also wrote the guy I bought spark plug caps from to see if they have shipped. I have to snip about a 1/2 inch from the current cables to the plugs and rethread them, at least until I buy the new coils.

The spiffing up of the engine is coming along nicely. I could actually see myself in the reflection.
I'll be doing a lot of things in the next couple of days. Changing the gear oil tomorrow, buying a new oil filter bolt, and more cleaning of course.

No comments: