Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tires, coils and polish, oh my!


I checked my tire psi today and was shocked to see it at only 25psi for the front, and 29psi for the back. I corrected this. Could explain the cruddy gas mileage (as good an excuse as any). The bike fired right up this morning, (using the choke, of course) I let it warm up for a while. I'm liking this bike more and more every day.

I also checked the secondary resistance on my bike.

Coils 1&4: 13.78
Coils 2&3: 13.08-09

Well within acceptable limits (which happen to be 9.6-14.4ohms) I clipped off about a 1/4 inch from the end of my coil wires, applied dielectric grease and tightened them up. Looking good so far. Next I'm going to check primary resistance,, but will wait until I get the new plug caps. I'm just waiting for the arrival of the new caps (which, I was told, were shipped out on Tuesday). I'm not sure if that will have any effect, but at least I'll be able to put new plugs in. That resistor tip on the new plug doesn't fit my caps.

Hallelujah! My horns work! I tore down the handlebar assembly for the left hand controls, cleaned the moving parts again (with wd40 this time) and viola! The poor jeep-jeep sound now emanates from those stock horns. I wish it were louder, but at least they work. I just don't think they are going to get anyone's attention. I still need to adjust the little screw, but thank goodness they work.

One other issue that has come up (and I am sure it relates to the carbs) is the poor throttle response *sometimes* in first gear. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes when I am sitting at a stop light and the light turns green, I have to be careful that it doesn't stall out. Accelerating sometimes there is a hesitation. Again, once I sync my carbs, I am hoping this issue will work itself out. I posted a short video of the carbs and bike at idle.

Off to order my YICS tool.


No comments: