Friday, May 29, 2009

May have messed something up...

So, I drove the bike up to FTMS today, looking to get some new carb boots. The ones I bought from the guy online still fit the old style plugs and not the big resistor type plug I need. However, FTMS did not have them. So, I came back outside and hopped on the bike to ride home. It wouldn't start. I tried and tried and nearly drained the battery. It finally started, so I drove home.

When I got home, I pulled into the garage and decided, since the bike was running so terribly, I would take a look under the carbs. What mysteries would they hold? Well, honestly, they were in pretty good shape. I tore them all down and cleaned them as best I could. Put everything back together and when I fired it back up, the rpms hit about 7000. I quickly shut it off, started it up again and WHaMMO! 7000 rpms again! Finally, I took the tank back off, checked the linkage to the throttle to make sure it wasn't jammed up, and took one of the carbs apart again (to make sure it clunked via the clunk test).

I have 3 more to do tomorrow... it was just getting too dark tonight. I should probably pull them off completely and do a proper clean, but I need the experience.

I also ordered... DYNACOILS!! They should be here in a couple days, as well as my YICS tool. This bike is going to be running great!!

If I can get that carb thing fixed.

I'll post pics of the entire procedure. Apparently there are guys online that think you can't do it with dynacoils. I'll show them.

No comments: