Saturday, September 23, 2006

Seafoam, how I love thee...

That little white can with the bluish green contents really does the trick. Today, since the weather has been sucking big time (has it ever rained as much as it's raining now or am I just more aware of the weather now that I want to be out in it?) I cleaned up the Mad Maxim, polished everything that's supposed to be shiny and dumped an entire bottle of seafoam into the gas tank.

Yes, an entire bottle.

Not one to follow directions, I am preparing myself for the journey into the wilds of Canada. Someone on the list said, "Get your bikes ready now. You don't want to have to spend hours cleaning out your carbs after the tune up". Truer words never spoken. After pouring an entire bottle in, I took it for a short ride (in between downpourings of the elixir of life) and perhaps it was my imagination, but the bike responded really well. Fired right up even after sitting for a day without being started. Idle'd well, acceleration excellent, if only the weather would hold out. True, you can ride your bike in the rain, but those wet pant legs and mud caked shoes don't exactly scream "ready for work!"

I'm going to do an oil change tomorrow... just the oil, not the filter. Figure I'll add a bit of seafoam to the crankcase as well. I want the bike to run uber well on the way to Canada and even though my 1000 mile anniversary hasn't arrived yet (will surpass that on the way to Canada) I figure it can't hurt.

The parts for my bike should be in by Tuesday. I'll do a front brake pad change (maybe stop that squealing...) and make sure I pack my bearing and my fork seals to go with me.

My heart is beating a little faster... come on next Friday!

No comments: