Saturday, September 16, 2006

Stripping away the layers..

So tonight I jumped in with both feet and took off the front fender, stripped it and then primed it. Tomorrow, I'm going to sand the crap out of it. I figure it'll take a couple of coats of primer, some serious sanding, then more primer, then more sanding. Putting the top coat on is going to be the trick. I have a website saved on how to do it correctly, so I am going to print that out and follow the instructions step by step. I don't want to screw this up.

There is something about doing this myself that is very fulfilling. I can't wait to get started on it. The gas tank is going to have to wait til almost all the gas is gone. That's all right. Little by little is the way to go. I'd love to have it all done in a week, but this will be a good test case on how well I can do it.

In other news:
This is the result of hours of scrubbing the clear coat off the engine. While I can see the need for it, it sure was a pin to get off. Of course, like an idiot, I was using 1000 grit sandpaper, thinking, "Gee, I don't want to scratch the metal." I could have saved myself a couple of hours I think if I had used a coarser grit. The black paint around it needs another coat, but I'm almost afraid to do this.

Maybe I can just tape off the strips of aluminum and spray paint between and around them? I'll give it a shot.


Here's the side that hasn't been scrubbed yet. You can see the clear coat is starting to yellow and flake. While the engine will probably never be perfect, I'm going to do my best. That's my next big project after the fender is done. The chrome is looking pretty rough too. One more job...


I went out riding a bit yesterday, strapped on some saddle bags and did some computer shopping. I am building a media center pc. It's looking pretty good.

I actually got stuck in traffic and the temp gauge on the bike crept up to almost red. Once I got rolling, it cooled off again, but I wasn't expecting it to heat up that fast. I'm thinking another oil change is in the works. Yeah, I know, it hasn't been that long since my last one, but part of me wants to tackle that oil filter housing/oil filter bolt, and I can't do that without losing the majority of the oil anyway, so...

More tomorrow, with pics showing the progress.

No comments: