Thursday, June 04, 2009

Carb Redux

So, new coils installed, battery fully charged, carbs recently cleaned. Boy, was I ready for a ride! I fired the bike up (first time since coil install) and blammo! Instant start! NO hesitation whatsoever! I took a short ride up to the gas station (since I had my tank hooked up as an auxilliary tank and the tubing came off, gas all over ((but not too much, thank goodness)) and acceleration was awesome! Response, handling, everything was looking good and I was ready to get back to cleaning and polishing.

Then, I shut it off at the gas station to fill up the tank. Restarting, once the tank was full, was difficult. I started to sweat a little, but it started and I drove it straight home.

At home, I shut the bike off and after that it wouldn't start. Plugs completely fouled up. Sooty black. So, it's running rich. Too rich. Maybe it could take some of that rich problem and translate it into cash and fill my wallet back up. Thank goodness I'm independently wealthy.

Oh, wait a minute. I'm not.

Anyhow, I called this local mechanic who "specialized" in vintage bikes and had him come over to take a look. He pulls in, and steps out of his car wearing sweat pants, a wife beater and flip flops. Weighed nearly more than my motorcycle. He looked it over and then said, "It's a problem with your carbs. I'll clean 'em up for you for a couple hunnert bucks." My jaw dropped. Of course, I sent him on his way (after paying him for his time, of course... a complete rip-off/waste of time/whatwasIthinking???) and took the carbs off the bike again.

Now, the second time around was much easier than the first. Loosened the clamps, pulled the boots back disconnected the throttle and associated linkage and set up a little table, (muffin tins!) The carbs were still clean on the inside, but I did find one little thing that is worrisome. One of the pilot jets under the diaphragm (I think that's what it is) had some little "bits" of debris stuck in the channel, although the brass fittings themselves seemed to be in good shape. There were a few that I was unable to remove, and the PO apparently tried to do the same because a couple of the brass fittings seemed a little mangled. Not sure if that is a bad thing... if what I found is any indication, then I honestly don't know.

You know, I have been corresponding with this fellow from Pinckney and he's agreed to help me extract my pilot screws (the lil bastards) and look over my carbs. It's amazing they type of people you meet that go out of their way to help a fellow biker out. So, a big thank you to you, DW.

I'll post a follow up tomorrow on our progress tonight.

No comments: