Thursday, June 04, 2009

FiNaLLY!!!

Got it out!

Yes, that little brass bastard didn't stand a chance against a man determined and power tools.

However, it is unfortunate that I broke the screw and will now have to wait to get a replacement. But, that will allow me to do some other things to the bike I have been putting off.

When I arrived at DW's house, I was surprised to find an entertainment center, TV and nice stereo with surround sound speakers in his workshop! Very nice. He also has a pretty nice Maxim X with something like 5500 miles on the ticker. 5500 miles! A 1985! Absolutely awesome. It needs a little cosmetic work, but boy, when he fired it up (and it did fire up almost right away, after having sat for a couple days) it sounded fantastic. He installed some aftermarket horns that will certainly get someone's attention (it sure got mine. I think I peed myself).

We got started on the carbs pretty much right away. When it was determined that we weren't going to remove the carbs by brute strength alone (and we had shaved off what was left of the screw head) we decided to drill a small hole, per xjbikes great how to guide, and use a screw extractor to get it out. However, I didn't have a screw extractor, and neither did he. So, it was off to a hardware store we went. Luckily, they stocked the sizes we needed, allowing us to get right back to it.

We tried using a a regular drill, but the top of the screw was so mangled, we couldn't hit the exact center. We ended up using a drill press, which was exactly what was needed. Using a steady hand, DW drilled into the head.

It took a couple of whacks with the ball peen hammer, but we finally got the screw extractor seated, and slowly twisted the screw out. It was hard, no question about it. We used PB Blaster and 3-in-1 oil to finally get it out.

The other three weren't as difficult, but it was still fraught with peril. Nerve-wracking. I was afraid of breaking something beyond repair. But, it all worked out in the end.

I dripped some carb dip into those holes and let it sit a few minutes. I then blasted it with some carb cleaner, and compressed air to really get 'em clean

Tomorrow, I am going to replace the two good screws back into their respective holes, and hold off on the third because the top is a little mangled. Why set myself up for trouble later? Once I get those replacements, my Morgan should have arrived and I'll be able to do a proper tuning.

On another note, I had noticed before that something had dripped on one of the side covers, kind of eating into the plastic. I sanded it down nice and smooth and waxed it... and waxed it, and waxed it. I think there must be about 8 layers of wax on there. I'd like them to be like mirrors. The tank looks awesome. At some point, I am going to paint the engine cover. I really liked the way DW's X turned out, and he rattle canned it!

Thanks again DW. I couldn't have done it without your help.

No comments: