Monday, June 01, 2009

Success!

The bike is running!


I hooked everything up, checked the spark plugs, and fired it up! It started fairly easily, but it's still running rich. Not much I can do about that until I get that carb tune done.

My hands are really sore. I know the next few days are going to be difficult, but I'll make it through.

The toughest part of this carb tear down was the reinstall. Those boots gave me lots of trouble getting the lips lined back up on the airbox correctly. I may have to replace one, but they are fairly inexpensive. Of bigger concern are those pilot screws. Getting those out is proving to be very difficult. I put a little PB blaster penetrating oil on them, I am goiong to go back out after this post and see if they will let loose. If they don't... well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I could tear these carbs down again, if I had to, and I know the second time wouldn't be as bad. Patience is definitely a virtue. Chacal from xj4ever has been a huge help. Plus, a great source for parts!

The dynacoil installation is going to be a lengthy process too, but I know I'll prevail. As hard as it is sometimes working on this bike, I am really enjoying myself.

Keeping my hands clean... well, that is hardest of all.

No comments: