Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another oil change...

Okay, so call me paranoid. I did another oil change on the bike, mainly because I wanted to add some Lucas to the mix, and get rid of the black sludge that was visible in the crankcase window. I just changed the oil the other day, but there I was again, making sure it has the best of the best. The Lucas (an oil stabilizer that helps the oil cling to the moving parts) was a bit pricey, but I am hoping it will help with that mild tapping noise I keep hearing. Friend BIll says it might be the lifters... I don't know.

I bought a cable luber today (since the bike shop doesn't carry the cable I need) and lubed up the throttle. Fairly simple procedure, getting the pieces off... getting them back on took a bit of doing. I finally reattached everything and started her up... I didn't notice any big changes, and frankly, I don't know enough about the fuel/air mixture in the carbs to do much adjusting to that cable. I will probably end up taking it in and having a professional look at it. I'm sure they will be able to get it set just right.

I also bought some bondo and some top coat for the tank this winter. Man, I so wanted to get started on that today. I could see myself with a new tank by this week end... unliely though, and I would hate not being able to ride it for the next week or so.

I found some links to painting that will help me out immensely. I am going to use the aircraft stripper to get the paint off, sand it down, bondo up the dents, sand it smooth, prime it, paint it and top coat it.

Sounds so easy, doesn't it? We'll see.

I also bought a horn for the bike, so at least now I can honk at someone if they pull out in front of me. Easy to install, though I had to fashion a bit of a brace for it so that it would fit correctly. It works! :)

I plan on riding again tomorrow if the weather stays nice. It rained cats and dogs today, but I was still able to sneak in a short ride.

No comments: