Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Success!

Yay! Passed the MSF riding course! That U turn test was tough...

The girl that dropped her bike several times didn't show up the second day, so I figured she must have been really embarrassed or scared. It's a shame becauce she really seemed to be getting it at the end of the first day.

Class started out innocently enough, just simply circles around and around the lot. Then, adding a bit of swerving and cone slalom. Obstacles in the road, handling a curve and SURPRISE! The first test of the day was done.

We practiced a bit more. Those little 250's had some serious get up and go (much to my dismay at the jerky starts) but I could tell they wouldn't suit me out on the open road. Eventually, we got to practice the damnable U turn portion, and I don't know why I was having such a hard time with it. I understood the concept, and it was only after the fact did I understand why I did so poorly. A fact they neglected to mention was the lean necessary at low speeds. Thus, my foot kept up ending on the ground. Needless to say, I made it through that test scoring a 5 point penalty (for going outside the blue line and putting my foot on the ground). I wasn't the only on that was having problems, so I felt a little bit better. We were instructed to take off, shift into second and swerve around an imaginary vehicle, which I did easily. Test #3 complete. The final test was the braking test. I was a bit apprehensive about this particular test since they had made such a big deal out of it, laying on the tension with a knife. 15 point penalty for doing this wrong, 10 point penalty for that. By the time we all got in line, we were all very nervous. My turn finally came and I took off. My foot slipped on the shifter (big boots, little bike, you figure it out) but I managed to hit second gear doing about 16mph. I zipped past the cone markers and swiftly applied my brakes. I'd done it! Success! I drove over and parked the bike next to the others and breathed a sigh of relief.

The final few riders all did well, although one fellow was having trouble with his bike and at take off, popped a wheelie on his way to the marker cones. I thought for sure he would be disqualified for that, but they must have not seen it. He missed the mark and stopped way too late. He lined up for another go and we all held our breath as we watched him zip to the markers. He braked early, but passed the test.

The MSF course is an excellent way to hone and polish your riding skills. While we never got over 20mph, nor entered traffic, the course is designed to help you ride safer. I applaud the rider coaches for their perseverance in teaching me the intricacies of riding.

I took the written test and failed it. I tooka similar test and failed it. This morning I am going to take it again, and plan to pass it. Made up of 20 questions ( some directly contradicting what was taught in class) I thought it would be an easy in and out. Just goes to show that you need to study and pay attention to the nuances of comments made in the study guide, and not base your answers on common sense. For example, one question asked: Michigan law requires shatterproof face shields at which speed?: a) 15mph b) 25mph c) 35mph.

The answer? 35mph. But don't expect that answer to be in the book, cuz it isn't. I read the book from cover to cover looking for the words 35mph, and found nothing. It irks me that I was able to pass the rider course but am having difficulty passing the written portion.

I'll get it.

It still hasn't stopped me from riding my bike around town. Of course, I don't speed, always drive slightly under the posted speed limit and use my turning signal with flair. Every driveway is a potential hazard, every bump in the road a danger. But I wouldn't change a thing. I rode my bike to work yesterday. As I walked into the building, I kept turning around and staring at it, watching the sun glint off the freshly waxed gas tank, the shiny chrome and the clean engine. A feeling of pride crept over me, and as I talked later with a co-worker (who incidentally also owns a bike) he made mention of how good the bike looked. My chest swelled with pride.

Wish me luck. I am off to the SoS to take that damned test.

No comments: