Thursday, August 24, 2006

Things and more things...

Having some issues with the throttle cable. I'm going to oil it and see if that doesn't fix the sticking. Actually, other than running at low idle, and stalling at stop signs, it was running ok. Yesterday, Bill and I replaced the spark plugs and attempted to adjust the throttle cable. There is an adjuster just behind the throttle itself that allows for minor manipulation of the cable; alas, I think our manipulationg may have made things worse. I am going to play with it today. If I can't get it up to snuff, I'll take it down to College BS and let them fix it. Yeah, more money, I know. Try shifting from 1st gear when the engine is revving at 2500rpms. It eventually decelerates, but it can be a bit nerve wracking. I am also going to see if there is a cable luber up at Autozone. That should make things slide a bit more easily.

The plugs were not in horrible shape, but they definitely needed changing. No oil on them, so that's a good sign. I've noticed a minor tapping noise coming from the engine, hoping this will not get worse over time. So, as of this point, other than adding some coolant, the bike is fully tuned up. Taking it out on the highway did show some improvement, so I'm happy with that.

I did learn how to remove the seat, so now I can access the air filter relatively easily. It actually looked like it was in pretty good shape. The front forks will eventually need to be resealed. They aren't leaking yet, but I can see where the gasket is degrading. ..sigh.. No one said it would be easy or cheap. I am hoping to do as much of the work that needs to be done myself to save some money. I've already overspent on tools and oil and plugs and sprays and.... the list goes on.

School starts today. I have a gym class to go to, so I will probably head up there at some point. No need to take the bike since you have to pay for parking and I am only about a mile or so from the college. I guess I'll rely on my old reliable standby.

Riding with a license sure beats riding without one. I find it incredibly liberating to be flying down the highway, wind whipping and buffeting me, trying its best to knock me from my perch, while cruising at a comfortable 70mph. Nothing quite like it.

No comments: