Saturday, August 26, 2006

Running on empty...

Jackson Browne had it right. Runnin' on empty, and boy, is that bike heavy. I added some seafoam to the tank, as well as a new fuel filter today, then let her rip. I knew I was low on gas but thought, yes, thought I could make it to the gas station before I ran out.

Wrong.

I ended up stalling out at the end of an exit ramp on the highway and pushed the bike about a half mile to a station. Embarrassing? You bet. Especially the weiners on the road who honked at me in frustration and swerved around me. Like they've never run out of gas. I made it to the gas station and filled it up, the bike started almost immediately. Funny thing about that reserve tank. It didn't help me at all. I switched over and tried to start the bike before reaching the station (truth be told at the exit ramp) but nothing happened.

Ah well, live and learn. 2.86gallons later, and I had a full tank. I get about 103 miles to the tank, divided by app. 2.86 and that equals about 36.01 miles to the gallon. I know it can do better, and if things work out this fall, I am taking a trip up to the great white north (hopefully not white by the time I get there...) to meet with Hap, a great guy who has headed me in the right direction with this bike more than once.

On a positive note, my horns still work! I mentioned to Hap that my horns were defunct, and he told me to try tightening a little screw on the back of each one. I did it and ViOlA! Working horns! I quickly ditched the aftermarket model and reinstalled the stock horns. Unfortunately, I think the wiring is shot on the right side; I was able to hook the horn up to the left to verify it works, but can't get anything on the right. Not sure what that's going to entail, but I've added it to the Xmas list.

In case you forgot, the Xmas list is a list of parts, tools, goodies for the bike that I plan to buy as soon as I am able, or hope against all hope that Santa will come through and hook me up. I'm betting on the list. :)

I am going to run one more treatment through the carbs, maybe 2, before I head out on the roadtrip. I have this next weekend off, so maybe I can get it done then.

I received 2 compliments on the bike today, 3 nods from passing moto-cyclists and a once over by a county mountie. Those guys take speeding very seriously. I rarely speed, only when absolutely necessary (once in a blue moon it actually IS necessary) but keep the speeds at or under the limit. I don't want any tickets.

I drove out to Mason today, a small burg on the outskirts of Lansing. I had planned to make my way to Detroit, but I'll save that for another day. Smooth sailing over the roads though. I start to wonder what an 1800cc would get me, besides windburn. Trailing behind Bill the other day, I thought, great bike, but way too much for me. Maybe someday... It's the take offs from stop lights that gets me. Maybe it's driving skill.

Everything seemed very smooth today. Okay ramblers, that's enough rambling for me.

No comments: