Friday, August 25, 2006

Great group of folks...

I recently joined the XJ owners group, a listserv that offers owners of the Maxim X to correspond with one another. What a fantastic group of people! Very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable folks who know their stuff, what not to do, what to do, and where to get the stuff that you need. I have been in touch with a number of them and they all have the same advice:

DO NOT TAKE YOUR BIKE TO A BIKE SHOP OR WE'LL KILL YA...

Okay, they aren't that strict, but everyone voices the same opinion on the idea of bike shops and whether or not they have your best interests at heart. So, I am going to do what must be done all by myself. Well, that and with the help of people on the list as well as the XJCD that I am ordering. It sounds like a wealth of information, with step by steps on how to do just about everything.

Bike is running great (knock on wood) took it out for a spin today (lousy weather is limiting my ride time... yay Michigan!) Whatever it was I did to the throttle must have worked because I am now able to stay running at red lights, no crazy hitches in acceleration and no delay.

I waxed the bike AGAIN. Hey, it was looking a little dull. Needed to be done. I also waxed my helmet. Is that weird? I don't know, I am thinking of getting a new one. This one, while in decent shape, is scratched up from being dropped many, many times.

I bought all the stuff needed to repair the dent in the tank and to paint it. I found a great website that shows a guy who has a bike similar to mine, and details his experiences with tearing it down and building it up again. I emailed him and he said he'd be willing to answer any questions I might have concerning the tear down or build up.

It's amazing the people you meet, that you never knew existed once you start a new... something... in your life. One fellow said he might stop by on his way to Jackson, just to see how I (and the bike) are doing. That's really cool.

I'm considering using that por-15 I have (semi gloss black) on the engine. There are some areas that need a serious repaint, and I think that, if applied correctly, it could look really sharp, what with all that surrounding chrome.

Off to work I go. Rain is expected later tonight, but I am riding the bike anyway. I have a feeling that it will pass through before I get out of work. Funny... I used to check the weather to see what the day was going to be like. Now I check it to make sure I can squeeze in some moto-time. :)

No comments: