Monday, June 15, 2009

Step One

I know, this is an important part of the bike, so what is it doing removed? I decided to jump in with my next project, checking valve clearances! Yay! I have no idea what I'm doing.

The gasket that sits underneath looks and feels practically brand new, which makes me wonder is the valve clearances were checked as the PO said. Also, although the screws were on tight, they weren't so tight as to make me think they have been on there forever. I plan to strip this top piece and repaint, then sand the silver (now corroded with crud) part clean. Should be very nice when it's all done.

I figure since the bike isn't running really well right now anyway, why not get into something over my head?

Note the little X on the right side between the two bolts? More proof that someone was in there doing something. Adding to this difficulty is getting the ignition cover off. The bolts/screw heads are already slightly mangled (why do engine designers use lead for screws???) and I fear that without the proper torque, I will do them a grave injustice.







There's the little X on the other side. Not sure what that means, but I am sure someone on xjbikes may know.

I checked my manifold intakes, and they were all pretty tight, except for #2 (smack forehead) although by tightening it, it doesn't appear to have made any difference in the way it is running. I have a feeling the sync is way out of sync, and may require a pull and readjust. The tank is off... why not? The bike isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Tomorrow I'll strip the valve cover. Get it repainted. Then I am going up to a little screw and bolt place not too far from here and see if they carry the carb hat screws I am looking for. Chacal says he carries them, so that'll be my next option if this place is too expensive. It pays to shop around.

China Freight carries a set of feeler gauges. May go up there and pick a set up, if I want to do the valve clearance check. May look into an impact wrench too...

Man, the money I am spending on this bike! I could take a nice vacation...

More soon....

No comments: