Saturday, June 20, 2009

The XJCD


I received my XJCD yesterday. This is the one thing I have been waiting for so I can really start fine tuning the work on my bike. While I've learned a lot from xjbikes, this cd collection contains a lot of information, as well as some fun stuff. Advertisements for my XJ700 from the mid 80's, articles, facts, specs, photos upon photos... it's a bike man's dream.

I'm going to start putting a lot of stuff together that I've pulled off xjbikes and add it to the cd. Bench syncing, carb cleaning, fork seal replacement, general how-to's on a variety of different topics.

The cd does seem to be a few years behind. I attended the 2006 SOCC but those pics aren't on there. I have my own set of pics, of course, but I think some updating is necessary.

The bike still sits in the garage. I've been avoiding going out to look at it, mostly because I feel ashamed that the bike is just sitting there, carbs off, awaiting gaskets so I can put it back together. I suppose I could be out there polishing it, although I did get some nice comments from folks on how shiny it looks. But, I still have a long way to go. I want to paint the engine at some point (all black with chrome highlights?). I need new tires both front and back, and of course, the carb tuning. I'll get there. I've picked up some great polishing tricks on the xj site, and am eager to dig in.

The dirty hands thing though... when you are a nurse starting an IV, the last thing you want is someone with oil and dirt stained fingers jabbing you with sharp objects, let's just say that that's not something you want to see.

I have my son's graduation party today, luckily I got off work so I can attend. I still want to take the bike on a long trip somewhere... where, however, is the question.

No comments: