Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tuning in the stratosphere

Tuning is way out of sync. I tried to ride my bike to work tonight, but no go. I got maybe half a mile before the I realized I wasn't going to make it. The bike accelerated poorly in 1st, but seemed okay in 2nd. Once I downshifted, rpms dropped below 1000 and the bike died. It started right away, but there is obviously some issues there.

Part of the problem I am having is getting the idle correct (which you think would be an easy thing to do) so that I can sync it correctly. There has got to be a leak somewhere, even though I took my time putting everything back on, tightening everything correctly. Someone mentioned they thought it was a vacuum leak on one of the carbs, that maybe I was getting too much air. That makes sense, considering the way it's acting.

Tomorrow, I am going to buy some RTV and seal up the manifold intake boot on cylinder three and see if that makes any difference. I hope it does. The way it is, I can't really drive it anywhere. It starts up right away with minimal choke, hangs a bit at 2-3000 rpms, but I know I can get that ironed out.

I'd like to get together with someone who has had experience with the Morgan, and see if we can't get it 100%. I've heard Hitachi carbs are very finicky... guess I'm learning that the hard way.

More tomorrow.

No comments: