Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Argh!

Man, I am such an idiot!

Okay, well, I didn't do it intentionally.

I've been struggling for the past couple of days trying to get the bike to run normally. You know, put the key in, turn it on, maybe a little choke, and vrooom! But no. I had to go and do something completely stupid it defies explanation.

The last time I took the carbs apart, I neglected to tighten the bolt that holds the emulsion tube in place. Not only that, but I also neglected to tighten it's neighbor on the adjacent post. So, when I pulled the carb bowl off, I found the 2 bolts and a copper washer just sitting in the bowl, doing nothing.

Oh yeah... because of this, I emptied my gas tank into my crank case, prompting an oil change. I'll need to pick up a new filter tomorrow. Luckily they are pretty cheap.

It is my hope that this is it for carb tear offs. I was able to replace that boot that was in bad shape. I'm awaiting my other set of boots that should be here in a couple of days, but I am not going to wait until they arrive to ride the bike. I'm half tempted to go out there tonight and finish it. But, best to wait til it's light out.

More tomorrow...

No comments: