Thursday, June 11, 2009

So, following one of the esteemed members of the xjbikes forum, I drained my fuel bowls, thinking that maybe, just maybe, there might not be any fuel in them, indicating a blockage of some sort.



This what I found. I don't know what it is... some sort of amoeba, I think, plus, it has the ability to replicate itself, and then rejoin together.

I boiled my carb bowls in lemon juice yesterday (per suggestions on aforementioned forum) and rinsed them out well with carb cleaner and compressed air. This little splooge was hiding somewhere, though I can't imagine where. I don't know if this is the cause of the "not starting" issue, but it certainly couldn't be helping things.

I also pulled apart all the connections on the TCI box, some of those plugs were a real pain to pull apart. However, I was successful, sanded down all the connections I could reach and dabbed a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts. I can't imagine they have seen the light of day before now, considering the greenish/grey gunk all over them. It didn't help the starting issue at all, but it couldn't hurt, either.

I was able to pull those carbs off in under 10 minutes. Familiarity, however, does not make the heart grow fonder. I was calling them all sorts of names. I found that it is easier to heat up the boots with my trusty heat gun (on the lowest setting, of course, don't want to melt 'em) and then push the boots down and out, at least the two inner boots.

Be sure to keep track of which way the clamp screws are pointing. The clamps are setup to be accessed from the bottom (bunch of screws in the way up top), so be sure said screws are pointing out.

I'm soaking the carb bowls overnight in carb cleaner, as well as the brass fittings, emulsion tubes and washers. I removed the little screen portion. I can't imagine that cleaner is any good for that screen. (Then again, they are awash with gasoline all day. What gives?)

More tomorrow.

No comments: