Friday, June 12, 2009

If I never have to pull carbs again...

That was the most intensive 2 weeks I have ever experienced with a bike. Not that I've had that much experience, truly, but holy Hannah! A lot of work went into those weeks, including repetitive boring tasks better left for once in a great while. I must say, I have gotten quite adept at pulling the carbs, as well as learning a few tricks for reinstallation.

To the bike...

I put the carbs back on, cut my new fuel line to length (a POX on you, Autozone!) and gave the bike a few minutes to fill with fuel. Then, the big moment arrived. Would it start?

Success! The bike started with minimal choke (in fact, I wonder now if it would have started without the choke... I'll have to test that) and ran like a champ. Then I messed it up good by trying to sync it. I don't know whatt the issue was, but I couldn't get the carbs to sync very well. As soon as I adjusted one, the other would go out, that and a variable idle made for a very difficult sync. I still have to colortune it, but for now, the plugs are brown, maybe just a wee bit on the rich side.

The bike looks clean, (it should after spending all morning polishing it getting the layer of dust off!) and is running pretty well. Honestly, I am just going to ride it for a while. I plan to ride out to DW's house and pick up my sunglasses at some point, and maybe do a carb tune.

I feel pretty good right now, the fact that I fixed this non-running bike all by muself with my own 2 hands makes me feel pretty damn good.

No comments: