Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nearing defeat...

Okay, so the bike is all put back together. Fuel tank hooked up, carbs sparkling, new plugs. Should fire right up, right?

WRoNG!!

I don't know what it could be at this point. I am ready to call a motorcycle mechanic to come over and help me out because I am at a complete loss.

I cranked the bike, used starter spray, used the choke, and nothing. It just cranks and cranks and cranks until the battery dies. I have it on a charger right now, but I can't imagine recharging your battery is doing it any favors (and certainly diminishing the life of it).

I'm thinking of just putting it away for a while and rethink things... I'm NOT tearing those damned carbs off again. If one more person tells me "Your carbs need cleaning" I am going to go crazy.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the float level is off... would that affect the start? I don't know. Guess I'll have to do some more research.

I would like to ride it some time this summer. There is a guy I work with who works on small engines. Maybe he has an idea. Every time I see a bike roll past, I feel angst... and it makes me a little sad too.

The only suggestions I am getting from the majority of people on the xjbikes list is "clean your carbs".

No comments: